5/24/10

"It's totally a mental thing..."

I went in to see one group this morning as I've already mentioned and managed to make it back in time to give my final exam. Unfortunately I left my camera in the car for this trip, but after I got back to the car I did snap this picture of the white blaze of the Appalachian Trail.
I also planned on another visit today... this time with the Gilman's Corner group.

When I met up with them it was hot and buggy and group leader Jon reported that his crew was tired but already in camp. One of the girls started talking about how actually the hiking and backpacking wasn't that physically difficult... rather it was the mental effort to keep going, to keep working, to figure out how to do everything and to stay positive.
It was great to hear the students starting to reflect on their experience already!

As I was getting back into the car to come home I realized that I wasn't very far from the Kinsman Notch group so I drove around a bit and hiked into two different places to try and find them. On my second try I managed to locate the group. This group was all smiles, they had just crossed the summit of Mt. Moosilauke - a beautiful peak - and had spent more than an hour on top! Although they were tired they were in good spirits. When I asked, "What should I tell folks back home?" they instantly replied, "All good stuff - we are doing great!"
A couple of students did stage a good natured escape attempt until they realized that waiting for a car to come by in the little town of Orford, NH might take a long, long time!
After that I thought I was done seeing groups. But on the drive home the road runs parallel to the river where the Pemi Baker group is paddling, so I was keeping my eye out on the off chance I could see the group. I had to drive back and forth a couple of times to make sure it was them, but sure enough I found them!
They were pretty happy to see me, not only because they were having a good time, but also because one of their canoes had sprung a leak. So I made a quick trip out to a hardware store for some epoxy.

All in all it was a great day. The groups I saw where on schedule, in great spirits and having a ton of fun.

I hope to get reports from the Bondcliff group tonight or tomorrow as Clay the photographer was planning to see them this morning. That just leaves Reel Brook and Lincoln Woods... I'll let you know if I hear anything!

No comments: