5/20/09

What's next?

So the SophX is slowly coming to a close. Easy for me to say, but it's true: the students have one more night out and then a quick hike or paddle out to the pick up.

Most everyone has a very brief day tomorrow, breaking camp and a couple of miles out to the trail head or boat launch.

After that it will be a whirlwind of driving, cleaning, unpacking, de-issuing and then... at long last... the blessed shower! I think the reservoir in New Hampton dips about six inches when the sophomores get back into town.

Pretty quickly your children will be back with you, the stories will come out and the pictures will come back.

This year I've been really impressed by three things in particular:
  • The sophomores have been one of the most energized and upbeat classes in a very long time
  • The remarkable staff who have delivered a safe and high quality program
  • The fantastic engagement and excitement from you, the parents, families and fans
So the great students I know what to do with: I get to work with them next year in the classroom and also outside of the classroom on the Junior Urban Adventure also I hope many of them return to the SophX for their Senior Leadership Project.

The staff are my valued colleagues who I work with every day, so no problem staying in touch with them.

But my big question is how do I stay in touch with this impressive and energized group of parents, families and fans? You obviously care a great deal about the experiences of your children, you are web and tech savvy, you value this kind of learning... how do I keep you involved?

I would love your thoughts in the comments!

7 comments:

Lynn Leighton said...

My husband and I would like to thank you Hans and all involved for making this adventure one which our son will never forget. We are sure he has learned so much about himself as an individual and as a "team" player. Keeping us up-to-date via Twitter and Blogs were helpful for our own "issues". We as parents have to remember this was about our children and their personal growth and not about us missing them, although we did immensely. I guess we all learned something!

Unknown said...

As a friend of Lynn's this was a pleasure to witness and read. Congratulations to all the students and a great job to the teachers and staff. I am also a hike leader and can really appreciate the level of commitment that it takes to keep everyone focused and motivated. Great job!!

Deirdre Piscitelli said...

Many kudos to Hans and all involved for providing this wonderful experience for our children. Really enjoyed reading the Blogs and Tweets. Maybe each class (fresh, soph, jr, etc.) needs a blog for parents/faculty to chat on regarding up-coming and on-going events and activities?

CJWillingham said...

CJ & Fred think Dee Piscatelli's idea is a stroke of brilliance! Thanks again, Hans!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Hans (and all that are involved) from the Margeson's, in this great opportunity! I can't wait to hear the stories and experiences.

Lynne smith said...

Hi Hans, thanks for providing Max such a great oppotunity to do his senior project. I've never seen a kid so excited to go back again. He wants to do it next year too! I think that it is a great testiment to the dedication of the teacher's at NHS and to yourself for organizing this experience. Look forward to their arrival home. Have a great summer

Hans Mundahl said...

Thanks everyone! I'll pass these thoughts on to the field staff when they return tomorrow morning!