5/25/11

That's a First

I've hiked into the woods to visit groups for all kinds of reasons: wet socks, lost cooking pots, sick campers, and sometimes just to say hello.  Sometimes I bring kids home to get better, sometimes I bring gear in to give the group a boost, once I brought in ice cream.

Only three times I've ever been worried about my instructor teams: twice I had staff go into the field feeling sick (both were able to rally early in the course), and one who is very allergic to poison ivy thought he was about to get a major outbreak (luckily it was a false alarm).

This year is a first: I've had to bring an instructor team out of the field early.  I hesitated to even write about this because I didn't want anyone to worry but I felt I owed it to you, the parents, to let you know the story.

First of all let me say that everyone is fine!  The instructors aren't injured and the kids in the field are doing great and are in good hands!

A close family friend of Mr. Elkins and Mr. Gaudio on the Reel Brook group passed away in Connecticut after a protracted battle with cancer.  I learned of this on Sunday after everyone had departed but I was able to communicate to the Reel Brook group leaders via Clay the photographer.  Later I learned that the memorial service is early tomorrow in Connecticut.

So... to make a long story short here's what we've done:

  • Two experienced SophX instructors, Ms. McMahon and Mr. Joslin, have volunteered to hike into the group and stay with them tonight (I had to turn down several others who were willing to go!)
  • Mr. Elkins and Mr. Gaudio have come out so they can attend the memorial service
  • The group will come out (under new leadership) as planned tomorrow and come back to campus

Again, everyone is fine, the group is doing great and we have made sure that two good people can take care of their family in this time of loss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our best to Elk and Mr. Gaudio and thanks to the the new team leaders. See? All in good hands.
Here's a quote for the last day, one that is reminiscent of the one on the SOPHX shirt two years ago, Vous etes en plus:
"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." --Henry Ford
Can't wait to hear some tales of the wilderness and learn about some new self-discoveries made by our sophomores! Growth can happen in so many ways, in many venues. It's a blessing to have such an amazing outdoor classroom!

Hans Mundahl said...

Thank you for this great post - I appreciate your thoughtful words!