5/19/09

Hmmm, still no news...

I know this might be frustrating for many of the folks following along but actually not hearing anything is probably the best news of all.

That means the crews are learning, hiking, reflecting, being challenged, overcoming obstacles and generally doing all the awesome things that SophX is all about.

I've always tried to strike a balance between reporting and intruding. I've thought about sending out video cameras, audio recorders or even cell phones on the trip but every year I've stopped short of doing any of those things.

For me it is such a precious part of the experience to be cut off, to be away, to tell the stories when you get home that I haven't been able to do it.

Maybe one day I'll cave in... what do you think? Would it enhance the experience for our students, or intrude? Leave your thoughts by clicking 'comment' at the end of this post.

PS - I'm going to try and get an update from the photographer when he gets back home sometime tonight. He must have had a great day today getting some pictures!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see some pictures!

Anonymous said...

I think the experience is perfect the way it is! Let us not intrude on the experience and enjoy it from their point of view upon their return!

Hans Mundahl said...

That's what I kind of think too...

Anonymous said...

Don't cave in. Emergency contact is fine.

Hans Mundahl said...

Right, they have sat phones, so they can call if they need to. But self reliance is an important part of the trip. They have everything they need on their backs.

Anonymous said...

I concur wholeheartedly! This experience is very special. Even though parents are eager to hear (and see) news, the first-person account will be worth waiting for. Patience is a virtue, and in this case, enables the students to work through the natural nature-all learning process all that much better.

Hans Mundahl said...

Cool - I'm glad!

It's great how the stories come out slowly sometimes... as understanding grows and develops.

Anonymous said...

Absolutly! As much as I'm enjoying keeping track what you are doing is fine. Don't implant too much technology. I am curious though about why no cameras on the trip? Not for sending photo's back nessasarily but for personal memories.

Anonymous said...

I hope someone is taking pictures. There are some gorgeous views up there. I love hearing the point of view of what they are probably feeling right now. Sounds like you have enough experience from doing this that there is no need for more contact. I can't wait to hear the stories on their return. Any news yet from Reel Brook? (I know, no news is good news) ;-)

Hans Mundahl said...

Yes we send out a camera with every group, plus many staff and students bring their own cameras. Look for a slide show on the blog after the course.

Reel Brook has been quiet as mice - haven't heard a thing! If they were off route I probably would have heard about it by now. That means they are likely on track to cross over Mt. Flume today - a beautiful rugged peak and descend toward the valley and tomorrow's pick up.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my son obviously got the wrong idea he thought he wasn't allowed to take his camera. He probably wasn't paying close enough attention and took the "no tech" to the extream! Too bad live and learn.

Hans Mundahl said...

Oh bummer - yes, it's okay to bring a camera. I'll be sure to post all the pictures I get here!

Anonymous said...

I think all of that falls into the "Let our advance worrying become advance thinking and planning "
category (quote by H. Van Anderson)
All of you at NHS and you in particular Hans, have done a fabulous job of that for SopohX ! Thanks

Hans Mundahl said...

Thanks for that!

I love that quote - If we're worrying about something then that's exactly the thing we need to prepare for.

When the students actually get around to heading out on trail that's just the final part of months of prep!