5/19/09

By way of explanation

I realized today that there are lots of people following the expedition that might not have a handle on the different roles on the trip.

Students: The heart and soul of the program. We are all here to help them learn, grow and develop as people.

Teacher Leaders: Talented educators at NHS who also love teaching outside the traditional classroom. These folks absolutely blow my mind - they teach, coach, dorm parent, have families and still make room in the busy end of the year to head out on expedition with students! I am renewed and energized working with these folks as my colleagues.

Professional Outdoor Educators: These guys and gals bring a passion for teaching in the outdoors, they all have Wilderness First Responder certification or better. All have at least 20 days of instructing young people in the back country. Some of our own NHS teachers are qualified to fill this role. This is how I started my career and I enjoy working with them as I see much of myself in them.

Student Leaders: This year we have seven juniors and seniors who are going out on the expedition as their Senior Leadership Project. These are students who love the outdoors, love the SophX and want to share that experience with others. A couple of the student leaders this year actually were very challenged last year on the expedition and came to appreciate what they learned so much they wanted to help others in this same situation.

Course Director: That's me, I stay home and coordinate the program. If someone is injured, or needs help I will go into the field and offer assistance. In the past this has looked like:
  • Bringing dry socks to a wet group
  • Hiking in a student who is joining the group late
  • Evacuating students with turned ankles
  • Helping counsel students who were struggling
  • Bringing in a cooking pot to a group who lost it
  • And managing lots of itinerary changes and pick up location changes
A couple people have asked if I'm tweeting and blogging from the woods or from basecamp. The truth is it's both, if I'm in the woods and can get cell reception I'll tweet from there and once I'm back I'll follow up with more details.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good stuff. enjoying the tweets. thanks for sharing.

Hans Mundahl said...

You bet! Thanks for the comment!