5/20/08

Visiting some groups today

I'm going to be visiting some groups today to help folks recover from the cold and wet night they spent last night. The good news is several groups readjusted their routes to accommodate local conditions. If a trail was too snowy or the group too wet, they opted to stay at a lower elevation or not hike as far. Decision making, leadership and conflict resolution are key parts of the curriculum and these are the kinds of conditions that bring out the best teachable moments.

That being said I also know we have a few bumps and bruises that I need to take a look at. I think there will be a few folks coming out of the woods today and I'll keep you posted on that as I know more.

When students return early from expedition they often experienced mixed emotions. They may be glad to no longer in the field, but sad to have left their group. They may be upset at being injured or sick, but happy to be getting the care they need. Often students feel an attachment to their group and their friends and find it hard to go.

No comments: